A painter buddy recently gifted me with a sheet of beautiful 300 lb. paper. I’ve been reluctant to try the really good stuff like this because I’m so new to watercolor and have been afraid of wasting it.
I’ve also been wanting to start a series of cairn pictures, and the new paper got me going on that, too. Thanks again, Ron!!
This is the piece I’ll take to Austin instead of the rooster. Yes, it’s a sheep doing a rooster’s job, getting it wrong. The task was to do a spread from an assigned manuscript, leaving room for text.
Just to keep the digital record complete, here is the final version. Very close to the one previously posted.
I’ll be going to the SCBWI conference in Austin in a few weeks. There’s an assignment for the illustrator session that involves a story with a rooster character. I did Chanticleer, here, on spec a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I can’t make him fit the assignment, so there will be another rooster in my future. Or maybe a sheep. There’s a sheep character in the story, too.
In September I took a trip to Iceland with a group of photographers with the idea that I would do some plein air watercolors. It was a wonderful trip! However, too much was new to me then and I didn’t produce much on location. But working with my snapshots, I’m finally starting to do the paintings I wanted to be making at the time.